1. Attendance and Absence Policy
- Learners should be at school not later than 7:20am. Classes are dismissed at 2:00pm. Clubs and activities are held twice a week (Monday & Thursday) between 2:15pm and 3:00pm.
- All learners are expected to report to school regularly and to be on-time for all classes. This is important so that they can develop habits of punctuality, self-discipline, and responsibility. Late arrivals disrupt the class. Daily attendance is one of the criteria for the learner’s evaluation and absences and lateness are entered in the Progress Report Cards every term.
- If a Grade 1 to Grade 12 learner arrives at school after 7:45am without a valid excuse the learner will not be permitted to entry their period one. They will remain in the reception area. It is the responsibility of the learner to catch up on all missed work.
2. Validated Absences
The following reasons are recognized as being valid for absences of learners from school:
- Personal illness
- Illness in the family
- Death of a relative
- A religious holiday
- A doctor or dentist appointment
- Emergency circumstances, which, in the judgment of the administration, constitute sufficient cause for being absent from school
All other absences are considered unexcused. Excessive absenteeism is an offence and is strictly dealt with (see the Behavior and Academic Policy).
However, parents are requested not to send their sick children to school. If the child has a fever, he/she should remain at home. In addition, if the child has a contagious illness such as pinkeye, he/she will not be allowed to return to school until the parents provide a letter from the pediatrician stating the child is no longer contagious.
3. Early Dismissal
Learners are only permitted to leave the school at the regular dismissal time. Parents should send a note to the Head of Section with their child and/or call the Head of Section preferably one day in advance and no later than 12 noon of the same day if they need to pick up their child earlier. The school administration reserves the right to determine the validity of the reasons.
4. Tardiness to Class
All learners arriving late to school must report to the Head of Section to obtain a ‘Tardy Slip’ before entering class. Teachers do not allow learners to class without a ‘Tardy Slip’. ‘Tardy Slips’ are also issued to learners who are late to class from breaks, PE, special and combined classes. Chronic tardiness is grounds for disciplinary action (see Behavior and Academic Policy).